Lookup disappeared!

May 6, 2009 at 9:16 AM
I have used the Lookup with picker to tag documents in different Doc Lib.
However, in the following situation, I found that MOSS ( or LookupWithPicker ) will remove my lookup settings.

1. The SPListItem using Lookup With Picker is a custom content type base on Folder
2. Create new item with lookup
3. Rename the "Folder" (actually is custom content type mentioned above), e.g. "abc" => "abcabc"
4. Then the tagging is disappeared!

Please kindly help, thanks.
Dec 15, 2009 at 2:37 PM
Edited Dec 15, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Hello,

Today the Lookup with picker is working fine on my SharePoint farm, but a few weeks ago i had some data loss problems : Data in the Lookup with picker field were systematically lost when creating or editing a list item.

I process the following steps on our SharePoint application :

1. Creating a Word/Excel/PowerPoint document in a custom document's library.
  2. Editing the document properties (in witch there is a Lookup with picker).
  3. Setting anything valid in this field.
  4. Saving modifications.

There is a particularity on my document's list : an event receiver (ItemUpdated) reading data in the Lookup with picker field and then writing these data in two other fields. This part works properly but finally after saving modifications, the Lookup with picker value is lost.

I investigated in some directions : Office 2003 to 2007 migration, SharePoint SP1 to SP2 migration, but found nothing...

Something happened on my SharePoint farm that makes the Lookup with picker work normally but I'm unable to understand what happened.

Does some leads were found on this data loss problem ? Is there some directions to look for ? I really need to understand why the Lookup with picker suddenly started to work.

Please kindly help, thanks.

Dec 16, 2009 at 11:59 AM

this is the MOSS issue.

Even though you don't use Lookup with picker, problem still exists.

From MS, the problem is solved in last Oct. MOSS Update, this requires SharePoint SP2, you can try to install all the patch first.

Dec 22, 2009 at 7:59 AM

Do you mean this problem exists on standard MOSS Lookup fields ? My application uses some standard Lookup fields without losing data.

I asked for help to MS support and I'm still waiting for their answer. Do you have some details or links about this problem's resolution from MS ?

I really need to understand and be able to explain every point on this issue.